Friday, June 12, 2009

So Long Old Friend by Chip Py


I bought this TV in 1986 at the Peoples Drug Store on Old Georgetown Road for $129.00. It was a wedding gift to my sister. For the last ten years, it has been my basement TV. Something to turn on while I painted furniture, strung up my fishin' poles or any other basement project. It has no remote, the channels are changed with a knob, and it gets UHF! (that round thing on top is a UHF Antennae) I have chosen not to buy it a conversion box because it just doesn't seem right.

I will miss my basement TV. It will probably sit in my basement for a few more years until I take it to the dump. Or perhaps, like LPs, I could wait for the analog TV comeback! That High Def is probably just a fad. One day my TV will be retro cool, and I'll be cutting edge!!

3 comments:

  1. Tube Head Hull1:39 PM

    aw, this is so poignant... we did, however, get a box for Bob's old "porch TV" -- he couldn't bear to be without it...
    So, we have an old small Sony with the built in rabbit ears -- its receiver went dead years ago, so it's hooked up to an old VCR -- and now has a little converter box -- it's like an old pet at this point, we just keep it going...
    Yesterday, I was astounded to discover that we're now getting 10 MHz channels instead of 5! Holy crap -- even a Vietnamese station!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Reggae Sound Clash at the Palace of Wonders in Washington, DC this Wednesday, June 24th. Jonny2Bad and his selection of roots with brethren DJ More Fyah. FREE Admission and drink specials for everyone.For more details, check out the site : www.jonny2bad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly agree, it is not nearly as interesting these days.
    Samantha
    Are you scared to be alone at home need security

    ReplyDelete