Friday, February 05, 2010

Commander Salamander Blues by Chip Py


Twenty five years ago Commander Salamander was really something to see. We used to drive all the way from Nags Head to buy clothing, sunglasses, buttons and all of the radical raging supplies a punk rock kid needed. I was really heartbroken when I heard that the store was closing. I went one more time to say goodbye, but when I walked through the doors, I had a better understanding of why it had met its demise. Except for a Cobain poster over the register, this store was no longer unique. It looked like any other store in any other shopping mall anywhere. Man, this was where Andy Warhol would shop when he came to DC! Someone totally mainstreamed their inventory and their presentation. No corrosion in their conformity. Somewhere down the line Commander had ceased to be cutting edge and unique and, like almost everything else in Georgetown (and retail in general) it became just another common denominator.

1 comment:

  1. I fully agree...

    in my youth we used to go in there without being noticed
    afraid that someone cooler than us would see us trying to find punk fashion in a store

    SUNGLASSES!

    Commander Salamander was my wrap around sunglasses secret

    over the years I would pop in there to see what was up... it seemed like it was a tad hip hop and no where near cutting edge

    that is why it closed

    SMASH in Adams Morgan has a far more unique appeal!

    ReplyDelete